Anthony (Tony) has over 20 years of experience representing clients in complex commercial litigation, having successfully tried cases before judges and juries in federal courts throughout the United States. Tony has litigated matters in diverse technologies including vehicle tracking systems, mobile device apps, software, over the road trailers, contact lenses, sunglasses, asphalt plants, paper making machinery, furniture, gambling devices, maps, home decorations and steam heating systems.
A registered patent attorney, Tony focuses on patent litigation, licensing and the effective monetization of patent rights for inventors and patent owners. As counsel to ArrivalStar S.A., Tony ran a nationwide patent litigation and licensing campaign for ArrivalStar’s portfolio of vehicle tracking and notification patents. In the course of the campaign, Tony filed and managed over 120 lawsuits against individual defendants and successfully defeated the attempted consolidation of the lawsuits into a single multidistrict case. As a result, Tony was able to successfully license the ArrivalStar patents to over 200 companies, generating over $15 million in revenue for ArrivalStar.
Tony graduated from Purdue University in 1989, where he received a degree in Interdisciplinary Engineering, was named Outstanding Senior at graduation and was twice recognized as Fraternity President of the Year. Tony obtained his law degree from the University of Notre Dame Law School, where he graduated magna cum laude. At Notre Dame, he won awards for trial advocacy, represented the school on its mock trial team and served as a Senior Editor of the Notre Dame Law Review.
• Musa Group LLC v. Bio Town Ag, Inc. (Ind. 2018). Representing client Bio Town Ag in alleged breach of contract action. M & C Innovations, LLC v. Igloo Products Corp.(S.D. Tex. 2017). Representing client M & C Innovations in patent infringement action concerning wheeled coolers.
• McAfee Enterprises, Inc. v. Guitar Center, Inc.(N.D. Ill. 2015) and Yamaha Corporation(N.D. Cal. 2016). Represented client McAfee Enterprises in the patent infringement actions concerning drum beat counting devices.
• ArrivalStar S.A. v. USGlobalSat, Inc. (C.D. Cal. 2013). Obtained favorable Markman ruling in patent infringement action confirming broad application of client ArrivalStar’s patent claims in the field of vehicle tracking and location notification.
• In re ArrivalStar S.A. Fleet Management System Patent Litigation, 802 F. Supp. 2d 1378 (Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation, 2011). Successfully prevented the consolidation of dozens of patent infringement lawsuits throughout the United States, leading to the successful settlement of the cases on behalf of client ArrivalStar.
• Harvest Scents & Traders, LLC v. KMI International Corp. (S.D. Ind. 2011). Successfully defended client KMI in copyright and trade dress infringement jury trial concerning imported home decorations.
• Vanguard National Trailer Corp. v. Strick Corp. (N.D. Ind. 2011). Represented client Vanguard in patent infringement action concerning aerodynamic trailer keels resulting in successful settlement for client.
• Weida Levee, LLC v. Brooks, 957 N.E.2d 218, 2011 Ind. App. Unpub. LEXIS 1498 (Ind. App. 2011). Successfully represented Brooks in commercial lease dispute and breach of contract action, including obtaining damages award at trial and confirmation of damages award on appeal to the Indiana Court of Appeals.
• Rexam Beverage Can Co. v. Bolger and City of Fayette, Iowa, 620 F.3d 718 (7th Cir. 2010). Obtained $2.4 million verdict at trial in commercial lease dispute and breach of contract action against Rexam Beverage Can Company, including an award of $800,000 in attorney fees. Successfully defended ruling on appeal to the Seventh Circuit.
• Advanced Steam Technology Co. LLC v. Maxi-Therm Inc. (E.D. Wis. 2009). Represented client Advanced Steam Technology in unfair competition action concerning industrial steam heating systems resulting in successful settlement for client.
• com v. Maxwell, 618 F. Supp. 2d 920 (N.D. Ind. 2009). Obtained preliminary injunction and favorable settlement in copyright infringement and trade secrets misappropriation action concerning promotional city maps on behalf of client Cartoonmaps.com.
• Tippecanoe Associates, LLC v. OfficeMax (S.D. Ind. 2009). Represented OfficeMax in commercial breach of contract action concerning OfficeMax store lease.
• Vanguard National Trail Corp. v. Strick Corp. (N.D. Ind. 2007). Represented client Vanguard in patent infringement action concerning the sidewall construction of over the road trailers resulting in successful settlement for client Vanguard.
• FACE Trading, Inc. v. Famiano and Universal Mfg. Co., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 97715 (M.D. Fla. 2006). Obtained preliminary injunction and favorable settlement in patent, trademark and trade dress infringement matter concerning pull tab cards and machines on behalf of client FACE Trading, Inc.
• Wabash National LP v. Vanguard National Trailer Corp. (N.D. Ind. 2006). Defended client Vanguard in patent infringement action concerning over the road trailer construction.
• Kouvato, Inc. v. Jore Corporation and Home Depot, USA(D. Mont., Fed. Cir. 2003). Represented Kouvato, Inc. in patent infringement jury trial concerning a novel drill bit and subsequent appeal to the Federal Circuit.
• Wesley Jessen Corp. v. Coopervision, Inc., 233 F. Supp. 2d 1233(C.D. Cal. 2002). Represented Coopervision in patent infringement action concerning colored contact lenses.
• Delta Design v. Weyerhaeuser (Arbitration, St. Louis, Mo. 2002). Successfully defended Weyerhaeuser in three week arbitration of patent licensing and breach of contract dispute. Plaintiff’s claims for $42 million in damages were denied in their entirety.